I created this dish as yet another way to get vegetables into my children’s diets (yes, even as they head into their teenage years, they are still a challenge diet-wise). It’s a bit lighter than a traditional ragu, so is well suited to our emerging spring days.
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 rashers bacon, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
Pinch chilli flakes
500g pork mince
4 fresh tomatoes, core removed and chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 portobello mushrooms, chopped
Generous handful baby spinach
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt/pepper to taste
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat
- Add bacon and cook until crisp
- Reduce heat, then add onion, garlic, rosemary and chilli flakes. Stir to combine and cook until onion is soft and translucent, taking care not to burn
- Add pork mince and stir to combine. Cook until pork is cooked through, breaking up with a spoon as you go.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms and tomato paste. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir through spinach and vinegar, cook for another 5 minutes
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve with cooked pasta.