I’d never really considered using sausage on pizza, but this is so good! The pork and fennel flavour with mushrooms, basil and cheese works a treat. And as always, my friends from L’Authentique make the best sausages in town. They’re just meat and spices, so no danger of eating anything you really shouldn’t.
I’ve given you the recipes to make the pizza from scratch, but if you can’t be bothered or time is tight, feel free to use store bought pizza bases and sauce. It’s ok. I won’t judge you.
L’AUTHENTIQUE PORK & FENNEL SAUSAGE PIZZA
This recipe is from Al Brown’s fabulous book Stoked. It’s quite a wet dough, but I’ve found that if you use strong (high-grade) flour and give it time to develop, you can handle it without too much trouble. This makes a thick crust pizza base.
500ml warm water
2 tsp dried yeast
2 tsp sugar
4 1/2 cups strong (high grade) flour
2 tsp salt
- Put the warm water in a bowl and add yeast and sugar. Stir then leave for 5 minutes or until the yeast begins to bubble
- Using the dough hook attachment on a stand cake mixer, mix together the water/yeast mixture with the flour and salt on low speed for 8-10 minutes until smooth.
- Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and sit in a warm place to prove. Knock back a couple of times with oiled hands
- Break off pieces of dough to size required. Place on oiled tray and stretch until relatively thin (this takes a bit of effort)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
2 x 400g tins crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Heat olive oil over a low heat. Add red onion, garlic, oregano and chilli flakes (if using) and cook until onion is soft.
- Add tins of tomatoes, bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced and thick
- Add red wine vinegar and cook until acidity has simmered off.
- Season to taste.
Topping (per pizza):
1/2 ball fresh mozzarella
¼ cup grated parmesan
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
4 mushrooms, finely sliced
2 L’Authentique Pork & Fennel Sausages, casings removed
Handful fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 220C.
- Shape the pizza base to fit a 30cm diameter pizza tin, and brush the top of the base with olive oil.
- Spread pizza sauce over the base until evenly covered (use about ¼ of the above recipe).
- Arrange slices of mozzarella over pizza, sprinkle over parmesan and rosemary.
- Top with mushrooms, then break up sausage and dot all over the pizza.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until base is golden.
- Remove from oven and scatter over fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately