So I am exaggerating somewhat when I say I’m recreating a Michelin star dish mid-week in my domestic kitchen. But this dish does include the infamous miso marinade for Nobu’s signature miso black cod.
There are a few differences – while Nobu Mastuhisa marinades his fish for 3 days, mine was more like 2-3 hours. I left quite a bit of the marinade on the fish when I cooked it, so it retained the flavour, without the immense pre-preparation time.
Since I’m making this in the middle of the week, I’ve created the fish as part of a rice bowl, with extra vegetables and a light wasabi dressing.
All said, this was a fairly simple dinner, which my whole family enjoyed (even the fussy one, although he had different vegetables to the rest of us). It also is delicious cold the next day, mixed with more dressing to make it more salad-like.
MISO FISH AND STEAMED VEGETABLE RICE BOWL
For the fish:
4 pieces of firm white fish, approx 150g each (snapper was good), filleted and deboned
3 Tbsp mirin
3 Tbsp sake
1/2 cup miso paste
1/3 cup sugar
- In a small saucepan, bring the mirin and sake to the boil.
- Whisk in miso then sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat
- When sauce is cool, pour into a large non-reactive dish. Layer the fish of top, and turn to cover with marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook (2-3 hours or overnight).
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Remove fish from marinade and arrange in a single layer on the baking tray. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Be careful not to overcook.
For the rice:
1 cup sushi rice
1/2 cups water
- Rinse rice in a colander. Drain well.
- Place in a saucepan with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and leave covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork before serving.
- Optional: if you would like extra flavour, toss through a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar and a teaspoon of caster sugar before serving.
For the dressing:
(from Harvest Niseko, by Tess Stomski)
1 tsp wasabi paste
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp sesame oil
- Combine all ingredients in a jar. Shake together until combined and sugar dissolved.
To compile, choose from the following:
Broccoli, cut into small florets and steamed until just cooked
Edamame beans, depodded and cooked
Bok choy, leaves separated and rinsed. Steamed until just cooked
Shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced and sauted with ginger and soy sauce
Cucumber, finely sliced
Spring onions, finely sliced
Toasted sesame seeds
- Divide rice into four bowls. Place fish on top, then arrange vegetables around the fish. Pour over dressing, then garnish with sesame seeds, spring onions and/or nori.