Although I love a roast chicken in winter, in summer I’m all about cooking as much as I possibly can on the barbecue. I have a Weber (which I love!!) but I also have gas (bad me) as a back up plan for when I can’t be arsed.
Anyway, I digress. Chicken. Can be very dull, but after it’s relaxed in a bath of lemon juice, garlic and herbs, then been fired up over coals (or gas!!), it’s a thing of beauty.
This recipe has all the flavours from Greece to mentally whisk you away to sunshine and azure seas, and is all the better matched with a chilled ouzo or two, a Greek salad, and some of the potatoes roasted as below.
GREEK STYLE MARINATED CHICKEN WITH LEMON ROASTED POTATOES
For the chicken:
1 whole free range chicken
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
- Butterfly the chicken by cutting down each side of the backbone and removing (with either a very sharp, heavy knife or a strong pair of kitchen scissors). Then press down on the breast bone so the chicken splays out.
- Mix together all other ingredients to make the marinade
- Gently lift the skin from across the chicken breast and over the thighs without tearing
- Smear half of the marinade mix under the chicken skin, over the breast and thigh meat.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken, rubbing it over the skin and into the underside. Place in a non-reactive dish and leave to marinade overnight or for a minimum of 3 hours
- Heat a barbecue to very hot. Sear the chicken, skin side down until brown. Turn over and cover, reducing the temperature to 180ºC. Cook for approximately 45 minutes, or until internal temperature at the thickest point reads 75ºC
- If you don’t have a barbecue, heat your oven to 180ºC and roast for 45 minutes until cooked as above.
For the potatoes:
500g baby potatoes, left whole or cut in half
1/2 bulb garlic, broken into unpeeled cloves
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC
- Place potatoes in a roasting dish. Drizzle with olive oil and rub with your hands to make sure the potatoes are evenly covered with oil
- Arrange lemons and garlic around the potatoes. Season with sea salt
- Roast until potatoes are brown outside and soft inside (approximately 30 minutes)